Re: Suggest a new criterion for Suspend.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 1:23 AM Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 1:55 PM Lukas Ruzicka <lruzicka@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Concerning a VM, I was not able to suspend the VM, it only stopped responding and it needed to be restarted to make it work again, the state was not kept. So, according to the criterion, suspend was not working.
>

> That's also my experience. And because suspend is likely not important at all for VMs, I guess it would be a good idea to exclude them explicitly from the criterion. I.e. instead of "Suspending the machine must work..." use "Suspending a bare-metal machine must work...".

I agree that there are better ways to handle this in VMs, but I'm not
certain it shouldn't be considered for qemu-kvm VMs, because that code
base is something completely controllable in free and open source
software. There should be no BIOS/UEFI, ACPI, kernel, or systemd bugs
that we can't fix. If it fails, it suggests a real bug somewhere. But
I'd also ask whether that's also practical, maybe ask the kernel team.
Also whether there are additional debug options in debug kernels that
would make it easier to narrow down where the problem is happening.

--
Chris Murphy