Re: Testing with NVMe

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 4:03 PM pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx <pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 4/4/20 15:27, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 10:45 AM pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx <pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

> I'm not sure the having UEFI is the differentiator... I have a 6th gen I5
> computer which boots UEFI fine but predates NVMe. On that one I use a
> PCIEx4 adapter and have /boot and /boot/EFI on the HD and then the system
> on the NVMe drive.

My test machine is a 4th gen. i5-4570. From what I can tell it wouldn't
be able to boot to a NVMe on a PCI adapter.

Correct.

I could get a NVMe set up on an adapter like I was originally thinking,
but I do testing on Workstation-Live and I take the defaults for
installation; so is there someplace where I can learn how to split the
installation like you've done it with the /boot and /boot/EFI on the HD
and the System on the NVMe?

You have to setup all the partitioning manually unfortunately.

Then there is the question: Would testing Workstation set up like that
would be of value to the project? I'm thinking there aren't many users
set up like that. Also, it might be a confusion factor for any bugs I find.

Nope, I wouldn't bother testing it that way. I think in the original thread you said you don't have a new enough computer that has M.2/NVMe built-in correct? Kinda hard to test it then :)

If you really want to be able to then you'll need some newer hardware. If $$$ is a problem, maybe an inexpensive micro-ATX and Athlon 200GE chip.

Thanks,
Richard