Re: Testing with NVMe

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 10:45 AM pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx <pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/4/20 10:24, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 9:14 AM pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx <pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> M.2 SSD's can come in SATA and NVMe variants.
>
> As far as USB 3.0, it's pretty fast and someone may want compact a M.2 NVMe
> SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure for convenience.

I guess, but an ordinary SSD in an external box would do as well. USB 3
is the limiting factor for speed. Though being able to boot might be an
advantage for test. In this case I would ask what is it we really want
to test, high speed access and data flow, or just ordinary operation
like booting and normal use at desktop kind of speeds?

Can't say why manufacturing make 'em, but M.2 form is a little smaller than a 2.5" drive...

>   From the various conversations with the test folks over time, it seems
>> many in the group test on laptops. Many of the newer lap tops have a
>> connector on the motherboard that connects an NVMe to PCI-E. This and
>> the above leads me to believe that the testing we want to do is with
>> NVMe on PCI-E. That's what I'm planning at this time.
>>

> Yes I think that would cover the vast majority of situations, but that
> includes many desktops today too, not just laptops. I'm running a Samsung
> 970 EVO on my Ryzen 5 2600 system.

Is that your only "disk" for boot and whatever else you do?

I run it as my system drive with a 2TB drive dedicated to /home.

> I have only desktops none of the ones I support have such a slot on the
>> mother board. No worries; There are PCI-E adapter boards that NVMe
>> modules can be plugged into then the board plugs into a standard PCI-E
>> four channel slot. This is the route I'm planning to go.
>>

> That should work for secondary storage (and testing) but frequently the
> system can't boot from a NVMe add-in card because the BIOS doesn't support
> it.

Well that's certainly another point to consider. Do you happen to know
if UEFI supports it? I'll have to reboot my test machine later to see if
there is anything that looks like it in the config. pages.

I'm not sure the having UEFI is the differentiator... I have a 6th gen I5 computer which boots UEFI fine but predates NVMe. On that one I use a PCIEx4 adapter and have /boot and /boot/EFI on the HD and then the system on the NVMe drive.

Thanks,
Richard