Re: Testing with NVMe

On 4/4/20 10:24, Richard Shaw wrote:
On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 9:14 AM pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx <pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

One thing that seems rather puzzling is that NVMe is offered in three
different connection configurations. PCI-E, USB (with a USB connector),
and SSD via SATA (with an SATA connector. Since multichannel PCI-E is
very much faster that either USB or SATA I don't really understand why
the USB and SATA options are offered. It seems a bit like having a car
that's designed and built for racing and only driving it on city streets.

Are you sure you're not conflating M.2 and NVMe? From what I can tell NVMe
is only for storage whereas M.2 is primarily used for storage but there
are other types of M.2 cards.

Sorry I wasn't more clear about that. Yes M.2 is a physical connector configuration with a specified key position on the connector. Modules with that connector are available in functional types I mentioned.

M.2 SSD's can come in SATA and NVMe variants.

As far as USB 3.0, it's pretty fast and someone may want compact a M.2 NVMe
SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure for convenience.

I guess, but an ordinary SSD in an external box would do as well. USB 3 is the limiting factor for speed. Though being able to boot might be an advantage for test. In this case I would ask what is it we really want to test, high speed access and data flow, or just ordinary operation like booting and normal use at desktop kind of speeds?

  From the various conversations with the test folks over time, it seems
many in the group test on laptops. Many of the newer lap tops have a
connector on the motherboard that connects an NVMe to PCI-E. This and
the above leads me to believe that the testing we want to do is with
NVMe on PCI-E. That's what I'm planning at this time.

Yes I think that would cover the vast majority of situations, but that
includes many desktops today too, not just laptops. I'm running a Samsung
970 EVO on my Ryzen 5 2600 system.

Is that your only "disk" for boot and whatever else you do?

I have only desktops none of the ones I support have such a slot on the
mother board. No worries; There are PCI-E adapter boards that NVMe
modules can be plugged into then the board plugs into a standard PCI-E
four channel slot. This is the route I'm planning to go.

That should work for secondary storage (and testing) but frequently the
system can't boot from a NVMe add-in card because the BIOS doesn't support
it.

Well that's certainly another point to consider. Do you happen to know if UEFI supports it? I'll have to reboot my test machine later to see if there is anything that looks like it in the config. pages.