Re: Proposal: revision to Install Remove test case

On 2/7/20 10:31, Kamil Paral wrote:

So we're slowly getting back to the original version of the test case. It
still contains instructions to check that applications start correctly,
which I believe is not the point of the test case.

I can certainly see that

It's missing
verification via rpm that the application got installed properly.

I thought the best way to see if the install went well was to see if the application would start and close. Now I can see that if that failed, it would be good to do and rpm -q to help judge if the problem was with the package or or the install. In this context we may not care if the application works or not. Though I can think of circumstances where the installation was the cause of an issue with the application, but still reported installed okay. I'm thinking now that such an event is a deep corner case.

It says
"if something failed, please file a bug report" in every other sentence,
which is unneeded, because the point of a test case is that any failure of
any step is a failure of the test case and should be reported (of course we
can explicitly list important failures in Expected Results). If we change
all that, we're fully back at the original test case.

I'm not trying to criticize your changes. Just instead of doing all the
changes, please explain *why* you want to make those changes, what you're
trying to achieve. And perhaps we can figure out the best way to do so.
Perhaps what you really want is to write a test case tailored to
gnome-software et al. and the common GUI workflows of interacting with
installed/removed apps?

In retrospect my initial thinking on this test case was erroneous. Most of my carrer was spent making sure the documents I wrote were as comprehensive as possible and left little to doubt. I'm getting used to how test cases and other documents are done here. I see the advantages of having variation in how the tests are run. I will stop work on this case and take this experience into account in how I look at others.

Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

	Have a Great Day!

	Pat	(tablepc)