Re: Proposal: revision to Install Remove test case

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 4:02 PM pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx <pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I believe the purpose of the test case is to have a very generic test case
> that works in all environments (not just graphical ones) and applies to all
> package managers (notably dnf, packagekit, gnome-software, discover,
> dnfdragora, etc -- but not rpm, that is one level below them). It relies on
> rpm working correctly in the bottom, and it doesn't care about the actual
> software that gets installed. The point is just to ensure the selected
> package got installed or removed (which can be easily verified with rpm).
>
> Checking app icons in the desktop menus or launching them is a departure
> from this goal. And it doesn't work e.g. in Server environment. Also, I try
> to avoid hardcoding package names like you did (install packages foo and
> bar), because it's the random nature of things that helps up detect issues
> during manual testing. We can hint the package names, if really needed.
>
> I'm not saying the changes are wrong, it just seems to be a different test
> case. Something that would perhaps fit more into desktop testing and be
> tied to graphical package managers, than to be a completely general test
> case.

I believe I have improved the generalization and retained the
application test.

The updated version is at:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Tablepc/Draft_Testcase_package_install_remove

So we're slowly getting back to the original version of the test case. It still contains instructions to check that applications start correctly, which I believe is not the point of the test case. It's missing verification via rpm that the application got installed properly. It says "if something failed, please file a bug report" in every other sentence, which is unneeded, because the point of a test case is that any failure of any step is a failure of the test case and should be reported (of course we can explicitly list important failures in Expected Results). If we change all that, we're fully back at the original test case.

I'm not trying to criticize your changes. Just instead of doing all the changes, please explain *why* you want to make those changes, what you're trying to achieve. And perhaps we can figure out the best way to do so. Perhaps what you really want is to write a test case tailored to gnome-software et al. and the common GUI workflows of interacting with installed/removed apps?