Re: Kernel Tainted errors in fully updates F31

On 1/15/20 4:39 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 1/15/20 1:29 PM, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 1/15/20 3:22 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 1/15/20 11:58 AM, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I get the fwupd on these machines, but from what I've read the TMP is a separate chip on these machines and is not programmable. I checked the Lenovo web site under support and for these models. The page starts out with an "Out of Support" banner. Though there is a BIOS update available (only implemented through Windows), there is no TPM update available. They do seem to make TPM updates for the newer machines. Oh well back to budgeting for newer machines. I can't really complain. I bought these for a little over $100 each as manufacturer rehabbed about 7 years ago. Now I'll just buy some rehabbed i3s or i5s. These can be repurposed for something where TPM doesn't matter. They still run fine after all.

Did I miss why you can't just disable TPM?  I doubt that you're using it.

The TPM was enabled in the BIOS/UEFI by default. I tried it both enabled and disabled, but still got the TMP2 failures every 3 seconds. That's why I removed the tpm2-abrmd package. That solved the problem.

I also sort of doubt that any of these PCs actually use it. However, I have no view of what all uses TPM on Fedora workstation. My guess would be things like Keyring, The password retention and Master password in Firefox, BIOS passwords and encrypted drives, but I don't really know.

Most likely none of those.  Try running it without that package and if it works, you're good.  Really, nothing can depend on that because there is no guarantee that the computer will have a TPM available.

Well They have been running fine with the tpm2-abrmd removed for about 3 days now with no complaints. In that case I'll keep these around until there's a more compelling reason to replace them.

So I wonder why it's installed by default then. If it's apparently only used by special security related applications that are not part of the default Fedora install. I would see it as a dependency for such special applications that gets installed when the special application is installed. Well, I guess it's okay if they can get it so it stops and remains quiet when it discovers it can't run. If it was me I would set a flag someplace so it wouldn't even try to start again once that condition had been found. That would stop unproductive journal entries on restarts. I think a single journal entry for the first discovery would serve just fine.

	Have a Great Day!

	Pat	(tablepc)