Re: Kernel Tainted errors in fully updates F31

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 12:58 PM pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I get the fwupd on these machines, but from what I've read the TMP is a
> separate chip on these machines and is not programmable. I checked the
> Lenovo web site under support and for these models. The page starts out
> with an "Out of Support" banner. Though there is a BIOS update available
> (only implemented through Windows), there is no TPM update available.
> They do seem to make TPM updates for the newer machines. Oh well back to
> budgeting for newer machines. I can't really complain. I bought these
> for a little over $100 each as manufacturer rehabbed about 7 years ago.
> Now I'll just buy some rehabbed i3s or i5s. These can be repurposed for
> something where TPM doesn't matter. They still run fine after all.

I don't think you need to worry about TPM stuff right now. If the
firmware setup has an option to disable it, you can just do that.

As for firmware updates (a.k.a. BIOS update, or UEFI update), usually
the manufacturer provides a DOS based updater. Some I've seen come as
a complete bootable image using FreeDOS. Others come as just the plain
executable, which you have to find a way to put onto a USB stick that
already has FreeDOS on it. Of course, it depends on whether you're
having some problem that the firmware update fixes that you want
fixed. But these days, the complexity of UEFI firmware, the changelog
notes are vague. There can be many significant bug fixes and security
patches, and they just describe it as "security and bug fixes".

--
Chris Murphy