Re: Draft SOP for applying to be a sponsor, and handling such applications

On Thu, 2020-01-09 at 18:45 -0500, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hi folks!
> >
> > To go with the draft SOP for handling group membership requests, here's
> > a draft SOP for applying to be a sponsor, and handling those
> > applications:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_sop_becoming_a_sponsor
> >
> > again I kept it pretty simple, I don't think it's even worth setting
> > super-specific rules for the 'disputed application' case as it seems
> > likely to be rare or never happen. There's not much reason to
> > 'maliciously' become a group sponsor, after all.
> >
> > The currently-broken link will obviously point to the other SOP, if
> > both are accepted.
> >
> > Again, comments/suggestions welcome!
> >

> This certainly is in line with what seems to be current practice. My
> concern is with "managerial" review. After all you got pinged by someone
> to do this.

The 'ping' was by Alessio, a member here :) He filed a ticket asking to
become a sponsor:
https://pagure.io/fedora-qa/issue/603
and it reminded me we have no processes or policy here. It's nothing to
do with 'management' (whether Fedora or RH).

>  So I imagine this will be looked at with an eye to some
> goals they want to achieve. In that regard, this seems a bit weak to me.
> I would expect that there would be at least a "time and experience" in
> the QA group requirement. I would think you would want someone who
> understands the group and what is does in some detail. Would you really
> accept someone as a sponsor a few days or weeks after becoming sponsored
> themselves regardless of their background?

I don't really see a problem, to be honest. All a sponsor can do is
sponsor other people, that's it. Being a member of the qa group is not
an incredibly privileged position, it basically gets you CLA+1 so you
can vote and edit the wiki and stuff. I just don't foresee any way for
things to go terribly wrong here. The worst thing a sponsor can do is
sponsor someone they shouldn't have, and if that happens we can easily
*un*sponsor them again.

Giving people admin permissions would be a bigger deal, but we're not
talking about that here.

If we do turn out to have problems we can always tighten things up, but
I don't want to build a whole big procedural bureaucracy from the start
if we're not gonna need it...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey