Re: proposal: drop optical media from release criteria

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 1:30 PM Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2018-09-20 at 22:35 -0400, Harold Dost wrote:
> > Is having this as a test criteria *that* burdensome?
>
> Yes, frankly. Not a lot of testers even keep a DVD-RW drive and media
> around any more. It takes like a half hour just to write all the media
> for testing, then another few hours to run complete installs from them
> all (since optical media are *slow*).
>
> If it's not burdensome, why does no-one except the paid RH folks ever
> seem to run the test? And usually at the last minute, at that?
>
> I've had to buy three DVD-RW drives *solely for the purpose of being
> able to test this* (they keep dying, the things aren't terribly
> reliable). And I keep a spindle of media around, again, solely for the
> purpose of testing this, I don't use them for anything else. (In fact
> I've nearly run out, so if we keep this criteria, I'm gonna have to go
> out and blow some money on some more media I won't ever use for
> anything but testing this).
>
> If people outside of the RH team ever actually ran this test, I'd be
> more in favour of keeping it, but I don't think any of the people
> speaking up about how vital this is to them have ever actually chipped
> in and run the test before.
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | XMPP: adamw AT happyassassin . net
> http://www.happyassassin.net

I want to make sure that I'm on the same page.

Based on:
>Yes. We do not have 'burning optical discs from Fedora must work' in
> the release criteria, and never have. What we have in the release
> criteria is this:

> "Release-blocking live and dedicated installer images must boot when
> written to optical media of an appropriate size"
> Matthew is proposing that we drop that.

Would it be calculable based on the ISO size whether it would author
correctly (only in terms of size) with out needing to burn it to a
real disk? Then burning to a disk would not be necessary, but prevents
the image from becoming overly bloated.