Re: proposal: drop optical media from release criteria

On 9/21/18 1:30 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Thu, 2018-09-20 at 22:35 -0400, Harold Dost wrote:
Is having this as a test criteria *that* burdensome?
Yes, frankly. Not a lot of testers even keep a DVD-RW drive and media
around any more. It takes like a half hour just to write all the media
for testing, then another few hours to run complete installs from them
all (since optical media are *slow*).

If it's not burdensome, why does no-one except the paid RH folks ever
seem to run the test? And usually at the last minute, at that?

I've had to buy three DVD-RW drives *solely for the purpose of being
able to test this* (they keep dying, the things aren't terribly
reliable). And I keep a spindle of media around, again, solely for the
purpose of testing this, I don't use them for anything else. (In fact
I've nearly run out, so if we keep this criteria, I'm gonna have to go
out and blow some money on some more media I won't ever use for
anything but testing this).

If people outside of the RH team ever actually ran this test, I'd be
more in favour of keeping it, but I don't think any of the people
speaking up about how vital this is to them have ever actually chipped
in and run the test before.
My challenge is a physical system to test on.  I can do armv7 testing; I have 3 Cubies here on my desk for various tests, and it is easy to swap out media.

But x86_64 testing?  I only have my 2 Lenovo x120e systems.  I am going to have to test k3b writing again and if the bug is not fixed (it is in F29), implement Ed's workaround already as that is the only thing I need my old F24 system for.  And it is OK for testing as the fan is dying.

I have to hit ebay up for a Lenovo x141.  So perhaps mid-next month I can do some netinstall testing from OM.

Oh, yesterday I found out that my Juniper firewall uses some old TLS crypto that FF on F28 does not like.  So I either have to upgrade its firmware, turn off TLS, or disable this FF check.  ARGH!  Shows how long it has been since I have had to log in and check something on it. That SSG5 just runs.