Re: dracut and grub2-mkconfig hang indefinitely in rawhide, in uninterruptable sleep - 20180128 [Solved]

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 18:49:41 -0700
stan <stanl-fedorauser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 16:33:13 -0700
> Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I did a bunch of kernel bisecting Friday and Saturday and haven't
> > run into this. I'm not totally certain I had the same versions
> > you're running, what I have now:
> >
> > 4.14.14-300.fc27.x86_64
> > dracut-046-92.git20180118.fc28.x86_64
> > grub2-tools-2.02-24.fc28.x86_64

> > Also I'm using enforcing=0 because I'm getting so many avc and audit
> > 500MB in like two days. And due to a new kernel bug in 4.15, hence
> > the bisecting, I'm running kernel 4.14. I just did dracut -f and
> > grub2-mkconfig with this combination and it works fine.
>
> I have selinux in enforcing mode, so that could be it.
> I'll try setting enforcing to 0 and booting into an earlier kernel.

Mystery solved.  It's an artifact of the other problem, the piping of
command output to less automatically.  I was redirecting the output of
dracut into files.  When I just ran it without the redirects, it hit
several pauses while waiting for less.  I just hit space to get rid of
them when they occurred, and dracut completed normally.  As did
grub2-mkconfig when dracut wasn't in uninterruptable sleep.

Still no idea why commands in bash would be automatically routed to
less the way systemd does it with journalctl, etc.