Re: i686 got past TPM, but now video problem

There's definitely a bug here!

First try, I removed nomodeset and I got the expected fedora
infinity and everything went well, just like in f23 and just
like in the regular anaconda installer on the live CD,
except...

GDM never starts! The computer just hangs. I cannot use ESC
to switch to the text output, I cannot ctrl-alt to another
virtual terminal. I think the kernel crashes just at the
point when GDM is supposed t kick in.

This is exactly what happened when I booted the f24 live CD
and that is why I had to choose the graphics lite installer
from the troubleshooting menu.

To get more information, as Chris suggested, I tried a second
time, this time removing not just nomodeset, but also rhgb
and quiet.

The tex flashed by so quickly, that I couldn't read anything
long enough to remember what it said, but it all looked good
(having stared at this output 1000 times before). At sme
pint, what I presume to be the framebuffer kicked in and the
font whent smaller and it had a nice graphical look and in
colour.

Then, suddenly, after a line appeared about GDM having
started, or something like that, the screen flashed
momentarily and new text appeared, all in white on black,
with the name of my computer, Compaq, at the top. A fifth of
the way down the screen, there is a heading Call Trace
followed by three lines and then Stack followed by the rest
of the screen. Page Up/Page Down do nothing and the computer
is hung.

(The previous boot, when I had removed nomodeset, but left in
rhgb and quiet, I couldn't switch to text with ESC, as I had
indicated above, but I followed up with a regular boot
without changing the linux16 line in the grub menu and the
first message that appeared on the Gnome desktop after
logging in was that /boot/vmlinuz-xxxx had crashed. I presume
that this information had been left over from the previous
boot, sine I had the same thing happen last night when I
tried to start KDE Plasma and got the black screen, then
logged out and into Gnome and received a message stating that
Plasma had crashed. Somehow, these messages from the previous
boot and previous login get sent to the Gnome desktop on the
subsequent login.)