Re: Pungi 4 milestone builds: proposals

On Mon, 2016-03-14 at 11:52 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > releng flipped any necessary switches for
> > > 'release' behaviour.
> > I think this is the only meaningful argument for having TC/RC
> > distinction. Personally I'm fine with it both ways. It's nice to
> > see which images are the ones "almost ready", but I'm not sure it's
> > worth having more bits for releng to remember and flip.
> >
> It was my understanding that with full nightly composes TCs were
> going
> away because basically every nightly compose was the equivalent of a
> TC.

That was my initial thought, but sadly it's not quite viable, because
we can't pull side packages into nightlies as that would effectively
'push them stable'. As long as we still need to do a build with some
blocker/FE fixes pulled in from somewhere other than the f24 tag, we
need something like a 'TC build'.

> > If we keep the TC/RC separation, I like the approach above.
> >

> > > I think this still works a bit better if we add a 'Final' milestone
> > > rather than using the 'RC' milestone, but yeah, this isn't bad.
> > "Final" would be nice.

> We can't do that without recomposing everything once it's been signed
> off. Basically any RC has the potential of becoming a GA release, we
> can't just rename files once we decide something has been signed off
> due to filesystem labels, checksums and all of the verification bits.
> So we would then have to recompose and re QA and hope the wind is
> still blowing in the same direction and it all comes out the same
> again, and if it doesn't we have to do it again and still call it
> "Final".
>
> So what ever the RC naming ends up being it has to be what ever we'd
> use for the final naming.

I think you got slightly the wrong end of the stick there? What we were
talking about was whether to call the series of builds for the last
milestone "RC n.n" or "Final n.n". There would be no renaming in either
case.
-- Adam WilliamsonFedora QA Community MonkeyIRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | XMPP: adamw AT happyassassin . nethttp://www.happyassassin.net