Re: Pungi 4 milestone builds: proposals

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> So we're now frozen for Alpha and we have an anaconda build with
> blocker fixes in updates-testing...I guess this means it's a good time
> to decide what to do about milestone builds with Pungi 4. :)
>
> I'm assuming here that we're going to use more or less the same "TCs
> and RCs" approach for F24 and just try to adapt it to Pungi 4. It seems
> a bit late to make radical changes to the process itself at this point.
>
> I have a couple of ideas. I'm gonna recap, briefly, what (as I
> understand it) Pungi 4 expects us to do for milestone builds:
>
> We're expected to run 'pungi-koji --label foo', where 'foo' is a
> compose 'label' in Pungi's expected format. AIUI, this is the format
> Pungi expects for a compose 'label':
>
> MILESTONE-N.R
>
> where MILESTONE is the milestone (there is a list of valid milestones;
> for our purposes we're likely to use Alpha, Beta and RC), 'N' is the
> release number, and 'R' is a respin number. Both N and R have to be
> integers (though they can have multiple digits; Alpha-11.23 would be a
> valid label).
>
> Fedora does not do numbered milestone releases; we just have Alpha,
> Beta and Final. RHEL does, which is why the label format has 'N'. In
> the RHEL process, as I understand it, they build "Alpha-1.1", then if
> it passes whatever requirements are needed for an "Alpha 1" release,
> they ship it as Alpha 1; otherwise they build "Alpha-1.2" and ship that
> if it passes, etc etc. The "respin" value is considered "private", and
> respins are used for about the same purpose we use TCs/RCs.
>
> It *is* possible to do a 'production' compose with no label, I believe,
> by calling 'pungi-koji --no-label'. It would *also* be technically
> possible to add new label formats to Pungi. So we do have three options
> at the high level:
>
> a. Work with Pungi's currently-expected label format

In this format option, MILESTONE-N.R would be
MILESTONE= alpha, beta, RC
N = arbitrary integer
R = arbitrary integer

Can N and R be 0? Or must it be 1-9?

> So we could
> instead lock down R and only increment N, so we'd do 'RC 1.1', 'RC
> 2.1', 'RC 3.1' and so on.

To reduce granularity, lock down either N or R. But if locked down, I
suggest a value of 0 rather than 1 to indicate nullification.

> The build called 'RC 1.1' would likely not
> really be a "real" RC (in the sense it'd happen while we were not
> frozen and not have all blocker bugs fixed), but that's not horrible. I
> suppose we could relatively easily add 'Final' to Pungi's list of
> milestones too, if we wanted (or 'TC', come to that).

At least from the test side, I'm not thinking there was ever a
meaningful distinction between TC and RC for alpha and beta. For
final, I vaguely think TCs and RCs did change behavior in some ways,
maybe it was disabling u-t by default? Or maybe some installer
labeling or warning goes away?

If you want to keep some granularity to distinguish between TC/RC you
could use N=0 to indicate "TC" and N=1  to indicate "RC". :-P

TC's
alpha-0.1
alpha-0.2
alpha-0.3
alpha-0.4
beta-0.1
beta-0.2
beta-0.3
RC-0.1
RC-0.2

legit RC's
alpha-1.1
alpha-1.2
alpha-1.3
alpha-1.4
beta-1.1
beta-1.2
beta-1.3
RC-1.1
RC-1.2

Further, if there is no meaningful distinction between TC/RC during
alpha and beta, then those would always be N=1. You'd only nullify
"RC" with a trailing 0 for the final TC's.

--
Chris Murphy