Re: Pungi 4 milestone builds: proposals

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi folks!
>>
>> So we're now frozen for Alpha and we have an anaconda build with
>> blocker fixes in updates-testing...I guess this means it's a good time
>> to decide what to do about milestone builds with Pungi 4. :)
>>
>> I'm assuming here that we're going to use more or less the same "TCs
>> and RCs" approach for F24 and just try to adapt it to Pungi 4. It seems
>> a bit late to make radical changes to the process itself at this point.
>>
>> I have a couple of ideas. I'm gonna recap, briefly, what (as I
>> understand it) Pungi 4 expects us to do for milestone builds:
>>
>> We're expected to run 'pungi-koji --label foo', where 'foo' is a
>> compose 'label' in Pungi's expected format. AIUI, this is the format
>> Pungi expects for a compose 'label':
>>
>> MILESTONE-N.R
>>
>> where MILESTONE is the milestone (there is a list of valid milestones;
>> for our purposes we're likely to use Alpha, Beta and RC), 'N' is the
>> release number, and 'R' is a respin number. Both N and R have to be
>> integers (though they can have multiple digits; Alpha-11.23 would be a
>> valid label).
>>
>> Fedora does not do numbered milestone releases; we just have Alpha,
>> Beta and Final. RHEL does, which is why the label format has 'N'. In
>> the RHEL process, as I understand it, they build "Alpha-1.1", then if
>> it passes whatever requirements are needed for an "Alpha 1" release,
>> they ship it as Alpha 1; otherwise they build "Alpha-1.2" and ship that
>> if it passes, etc etc. The "respin" value is considered "private", and
>> respins are used for about the same purpose we use TCs/RCs.
>>
>> It *is* possible to do a 'production' compose with no label, I believe,
>> by calling 'pungi-koji --no-label'. It would *also* be technically
>> possible to add new label formats to Pungi. So we do have three options
>> at the high level:
>>
>> a. Work with Pungi's currently-expected label format
>
> In this format option, MILESTONE-N.R would be
> MILESTONE= alpha, beta, RC
> N = arbitrary integer
> R = arbitrary integer
>
> Can N and R be 0? Or must it be 1-9?
>
>> So we could
>> instead lock down R and only increment N, so we'd do 'RC 1.1', 'RC
>> 2.1', 'RC 3.1' and so on.
>
> To reduce granularity, lock down either N or R. But if locked down, I
> suggest a value of 0 rather than 1 to indicate nullification.
>

>> The build called 'RC 1.1' would likely not
>> really be a "real" RC (in the sense it'd happen while we were not
>> frozen and not have all blocker bugs fixed), but that's not horrible. I
>> suppose we could relatively easily add 'Final' to Pungi's list of
>> milestones too, if we wanted (or 'TC', come to that).
>
> At least from the test side, I'm not thinking there was ever a
> meaningful distinction between TC and RC for alpha and beta. For
> final, I vaguely think TCs and RCs did change behavior in some ways,
> [...]

So if "RC-1.8" passes all tests and is a go, how is this renamed? Or
is it not renamed?

I assume you don't want to do a production compose at this point
because then it's a compose that isn't tested, while ostensibly
identical the process has any number of non-deterministic aspects to
it, right? If so, is there an foreseen consequence of just renaming
the filename of the ISOs? Or does the final distributed ISO need to
retain the "RC-1.8" add-on?

It's sort of a minor point. There are build artifacts now as a single
digit since I think Fedora 20, that don't mean anything to the outside
world (e.g. for workstation it's 21-5, 22-3, 23-10 for the past three
releases). But I don't think they hurt anything really, so if this
RC-1.8 add-on is in the distributed ISO, it's only very slightly
crusty. But compare this to how Windows eval downloads are named:

9600.17050.WINBLUE_REFRESH.140317-1640_X64FRE_ENTERPRISE_EVAL_EN-US-IR3_CENA_X64FREE_EN-US_DV9.ISO
10586.0.151029-1700.TH2_RELEASE_CLIENTENTERPRISEEVAL_OEMRET_X64FRE_EN-US.ISO

So yea, that's pretty terrible. One of those is Windows 8 the other
Windows 10. But the world continues to function.

--
Chris Murphy