Re: Heads up - Anaconda 22.17 will enforce 'good' passwords

On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 03:03:50PM -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:

> I have to agree with Chris. I have absolutely no issue with the
> installer _warning_ me that the password I chose is (in the INSTALLER's
> opinion) weak. The installer should ABSOLUTELY NOT force me to use some
> arbitrarily obscure password to satisfy its criteria.  I have very good
> reasons for using the passwords I choose.

Agreed (again).  IMHO installing a system is a first step, *after* that
follow configuring subsystems, adding users and setting passwords.

A default of not accepting root logins via ssh is already a bit annoying,
but adding another user at install time is an acceptable workaround.

An installer should be good at what it should do, installing, not
configuring.

Unfortunately, using Red Hat Linux versions since 1996, having installed
hundreds of systems, probably 1000+ (ok, mostly with kickstart), the
installer has become extremely difficult to use the last years, because
it tries to be "smart" and makes life for people that know what they
want (like using preformatted partition tables etc.) extremely difficult.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx>