Re: Proposing new dual booting release criteria

> Hi folks! So if I may, can we try and reset this thread to the criteria
> discussion? it'd be good to have any new criteria in place before we hit
> Beta TC1.
>
> So I believe we have under discussion the following criteria:
>
> 1. "The installer must be able to install into free space alongside an
> existing clean Windows installation and install a bootloader which can
> boot into both Windows and Fedora."
>
> This one is simply dropping the UEFI get-out clause from the current
> Final criterion. I am a big solid +1 to this. If no-one has any
> objections let's get this one implemented this week.

I'm a solid +1 for this as well.

> 2. "The installer must be able to install into free space alongside an
> existing OS X installation, install and configure a bootloader that will
> boot Fedora; if the boot menu presents OS X entries, they should boot OS
> X."
>
> (so far as I could see on a quick skim back through the thread, this was
> the most recent version of the OS X proposal). I am +1 to this too, it
> seems reasonable. We could perhaps insert that the Fedora install
> process should not render the OS X install unbootable from the EFI boot
> manager?

I'm a +1 in general for this criterion. We should for sure include the bit
about not rendering OS X unbootable. If it were me and I was wanting to
check out Fedora with a dual boot, I'd be kinda peeved if it wrecked my
working day-to-day OS.

> 3. The installer must be able to install into free space alongside an
> existing GNU/Linux installation, install and configure a bootloader that
> will boot both systems, within the limitations of the upstream
> bootloader."
> Within the limitations? [show] Purpose of this clause is to not require
> us to fix upstream bootloader bugs or design limitations.
>
> This is the complex one we're still struggling with. I think the above
> is possibly a little broad and could do with either limiting to
> stock-ish installs of 'commonly-used' or 'popular' distributions, or
> some more vaguely-worded wiggle room clause. I don't want to have to
> come up with some kind of criterion judo to justify us not slipping
> Final release three weeks to fix, I don't know, dual-boot with an xfs
> install of Fermi or something (no disrespect intended, Fermi users...)

As worded now it could leave us in a bind without some limiting. If we
went the route of "commonly-used" distros, how would we decide that
and what would the update policy for the list be?

--
// Mike