Re: Proposing new dual booting release criteria

On Sun, 2014-09-07 at 01:14 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > For the Linux criterion, how about this:
> >
> > "The installer must be able to install into free space alongside
> > existing GNU/Linux installations supported by the upstream software for
> > detecting previously-installed operating systems, and install a
> > bootloader which can boot into each previous installation."
>
> Well, what does 'supported by the upstream software' mean exactly? In
> what version(s)? Does this mean if grub2's Ubuntu support breaks, we
> don't have to care about fixing it?

Yeah I was worried that might be too vague. Next try:

"The installer must be able to install into free space alongside
existing GNU/Linux installations that are intended to be detected by the
upstream software for detecting previously-installed operating systems,
and install a bootloader which can boot into each previous
installation."

This doesn't feel quite right either, though. Maybe we could push the
Windows and OS X criteria forward in the meantime if we need more work
on the Linux one.