Re: Proposing new dual booting release criteria

On Sun, 2014-08-31 at 18:29 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

> > Note that we're heavily dependent on upstream code, here - we basically
> > farm the bootloader detection of other OSes out to grub2, which is what
> > other distros do as well. We probably all act fairly similarly here,
> > these days. /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober is what does most of the magic.
>
> This is why I'd draw the line on owning our code. The two cited bugs are congruent with this.
>
> > A more feasible criterion, for me, would be something like 'successful
> > dual boot with default single-disk install of other Fedora versions and
> > other "major" distributions', however we choose to define major exactly.
>
> That may even be too broad. Keeping it narrow to "we're responsible
> for what our code does different than upstream"

So I'm kinda pulled in two different directions on this - I like the
concept of only owning responsibility for our own code, but on the other
hand I also like *functional* release criteria. So it's a bit of a
tricky circle to square. I'm sure we can figure something out, though!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey