Re: How to calculate priority for missing tests or %check

On Fri, 2014-02-28 at 14:54 -0500, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 11:24:48AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2014-02-28 at 15:56 +0200, Alexander Todorov wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not sure what purpose does the URL field serve nowadays but it looks like it
> > > can be removed from the spec file (and RPM for that matter)!
> >
> > No, please. It could be made *optional*. But there are certainly cases
> > where the upstream is non-discoverable - the generic-release one is a
> > fun one, for instance. There are cases where a project has forked, and
> > Google does not make it particularly obvious which side of the fork is
> > which. It's not a useless field.
>
> I'd vote for optional, but there are plenty of other useless fields in spec
> files.  Group, for instance.  Considering we don't even use those groupings.

IIRC the guidelines pretty much explicitly state that.

Again IIRC, the reason we can't just go dropping stuff is that some
tools go wonky if some fields aren't present. The specfile format is an
API, to some extent.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey