Re: Criterion revision proposal: KDE default applications

On 15 December 2013 03:27, Richard Ryniker <ryniker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It is very crude, but I looked at how many models of USB flash drive
> Amazon sells directly and see:
>
>     512MB & Under   4
>     1GB            39
>     2GB           176
>     4GB           378
>     8GB           518
>     16GB    B     407
>     32GB & Up     465
>
> Two thirds are models with 8GB or larger capacity.  That does not mean
> this many flash drives sold have that capacity, but such capacity is
> readily available.  There still are many machines that do not boot
> directly from USB, but that is a condition for which GRUB and friends
> are made.

Cautionary note (and sorry for muddying waters further, already a lot
said in this discussion so trying to keep out of it): not only does
this not (as you say) reflect the number of drives being sold, but it
also doesn't reflect the drives in existence. The larger drives
dominate that list because people aren't making the smaller ones
anymore, but I've got 2 and 4GB drives I still use. For burning DVDs
it doesn't matter so much, they're relatively cheap per unit, but for
a USB it's a bit of a stretch to expect people to buy new drives,
especially if you're worried about things like accessibility in
developing countries and environmental impact.

(On the plus side, just got a 8GB for £10 retail - probably cheaper
online, but needed it quickly - these are now getting so big that it's
practical to use them for backup and temporary storage during a
reinstall, rather than having to worry about upgrading or how you're
going to backup and restore. Long run this is probably better than
WORM.)

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk