Re: Criterion revision proposal: KDE default applications

On 12/13/2013 03:20 AM, poma wrote:
On 13.12.2013 08:25, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

>I argue that we should get rid of the DVD it's an era of the past and
>just provide net-install iso and lives.
Probably there are good reasons why the DVD is still here.
Indeed! There are environments/situations where there is no network connectivity (at least to the Internet) and never will be. It is this type of situations that will require a DVD.

Another situation is where I am installing into a qemu-kvm virtual system. Yes, there will be Internet connectivity. Yes, it is nice to have everything updated on install. But, running with just the DVD image is a lot faster (takes much less wall-clock time).

BTW, if a live image is suppose to represent "The" set for a desktop such as KDE, then that should be the same on the DVD. But, if there really should be more than can fit on a live cdrom image, then why not change that to be a live DVD image. After all, how many computers out only have a cdrom drive as oppose to a dvd drive capable of handling both cdroms and dvds?

Gene