Re: Removing Development Related Email from the Test List

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 07:51:00 +0000
"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/28/2013 11:51 PM, Tim Flink wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 08:37:01 -0700
> > Tim Flink <tflink@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> There has already been a thread here on this topic [1] but after it
> >> came up in the Fedora QA meeting yesterday, we decided to make an
> >> actual proposal.
> >>
> >> [1]http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2013-February/113898.html
> >>
> >> The concern raised is that notifications for development related
> >> tickets for the blocker tracking app are out of place on the Test
> >> list.
> >>
> >> To solve this, we have a couple of options:
> >>
> >> 1. Start using the defaultcc plugin for trac such that emails for
> >> the blocker tracking app are directed to a new qa-devel@ list
> >>
> >> 2. Move all development related tickets out of the Fedora QA trac
> >> into a new trac instance for the blocker tracking app which uses
> >> qa-devel@ for notifications.
> >>
> >> 3. Move all development related tickets to a different existing
> >> trac (probably autoqa)
> >>
> >> Personally, I don't have any really strong feelings about (1) or
> >> (2). (1) is probably a little less work in the short term but (2)
> >> isn't a bad idea. I'm somewhat strongly -1 on (3), though - If I
> >> need to go through and do the work of moving tickets and changing
> >> settings, I don't really want to be hacking up another project's
> >> trac instance.
> >>
> >> I've already started a thread on autoqa-devel@ asking about
> >> combining that list with a new qa-devel@ [2]. The initial response
> >> has been positive - I don't expect that will be a problem.
> >>
> >> [2]https://lists.fedorahosted.org/pipermail/autoqa-devel/2013-February/003519.html
> >>
> >> Anyhow, thoughts on the possible solutions or how much work the
> >> problem is worth?
> > There hasn't been much of a response to this yet, so I'm assuming
> > that everyone is OK with the idea of (1) and keeping the blocker
> > tracking app bugs on the fedora-qa trac. If we're going to migrate
> > to a new trac instance, I'd rather do it soon (in the next week)
> > since we're getting close to the F19 branch date.
>
> Did we not agree moving this into it's separated tracker or use
> autoqa one?

I remember that being discussed but IIRC, we decided to send a proposal
on how to move forward to the list for discussion.

> > On a related note, the proposal to consolidate autoqa-devel@ and
> > other QA development discussion on to a single list went over well
> > and we've started migrating over to the new qa-devel@ list [1]

> If autoqa is going to be using that mailing list as well then it
> makes sense to move into their tracker as well.

Kamil pretty much covered everything that I would have said in his
email. Trac doesn't do well with multiple projects and while it happens
to not be terrible for BBA and fedora-qa, it doesn't work well in
general.

I understand the desire to reduce the number of trac instances and
honestly, I'd rather not have another instance to admin. However, the
costs of having to deal with a sub-optimal tracker configuration just
for the sake of having a single instance are just too high to make
sense.

Tim