Re: F18 doesn't see full laptop screen resolution

On 02/01/2013 03:51 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
Well, no it isn't. You might not bother to configure wireless when you
install if you don't need it. But that just doesn't apply to this case
at all. 'basic graphics mode' is pretty clearly positioned as a
workaround for dealing with graphics problems. It is not offered as an
option very prominently, you have to go dig and find it. There's no
particular reason you'd do so unless you had an explicit reason to. It's
not like, on a 'normal' install path, you have a dialog that lets you
pick Basic or Not-Basic and some kind of compelling reason to pick
Not-Basic. Not-Basic is what 99% of people will see. Basic is something
you only see if you picked it explicitly from a fairly obscure place,
which is only going to happen if a) you figured or read that you needed
to do so to deal with a graphics problem you encountered when first
trying in Non-Basic, or b) you twiddle with stuff way more than is good
for you.

I tried booting from the install disk, which reminded me the reason
I had to use Basic mode for the installation: Basically in the default mode
the laptop would just sit there and never present anything than a
spinning cursor.

It is possible the disk was corrupted - but I was able to use the same
disk to boot in Basic mode.  Furthermore, I was able to use the same
disk to boot in non-basic mode and install F18 in a VirtualBox VM
under Windows 7.
--
	--Per Bothner