Re: F18 doesn't see full laptop screen resolution

On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 10:44 -0800, Per Bothner wrote:

> Though it seems a bug to set the installed default mode line to
> nomodeset based on whether one boots up the live DVD in basic graphics
> mode. Better to install the settings appropriate for the hardware
> *plus* some kind of "safe mode" in the grub menu.

(To be clear: when I said "foolishly" in my other mail, I meant it in
the sense that we're fools for making that trap so easy to fall into.
Apologies if offense was taken; none was intended.)

Well, we don't normally set video parameters in the grub config at all.
The theory is that you'll only hit 'nomodeset' if you had to use it to
install, and in that case if we then defaulted to booting a KMS
configuration you'd probably be booting a configuration that you _know_
won't work, since it's the same kernel as you just used to run the
installer (if you're not enabling updates at install time).

So really, to me, this suggests that we should hide the 'nomodeset'
install option a little better.  I suspect that showing it early in the
install process suggests to people that it's somehow more likely to
succeed and therefore desirable.

- ajax