Re: F18 doesn't see full laptop screen resolution

On Feb 2, 2013, at 2:38 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Something must be looking at /proc/cmdline already or the installed grub.cfg wouldn't be including nomodeset in the default stanza.

?

OK forgive me for not paying attention if this has been said, but I'm not understanding if this is a feature request or a behavior complaint. Does the grub.cfg in question contain nomodeset? Or you want it to include nomodeset?

>> So the feature ultimately
>> is both an anaconda and grub2 request.
>
> Presumably mkconfig is using a default /etc/default/grub (<512 bytes).

There is a minimal /etc/default/grub as part of the grub2 package. But anaconda (or maybe lorax?) is writing more into that file during the installation, specifically the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= line. This modification is made before anaconda calls grub2-mkconfig.

> After finding nomodeset in /proc/cmdline, Anaconda could specify mkconfig use an alternate such file or perform some other magic to get the extra stanza included, maybe an /etc/grub.d/49_nomodeset.

Requires anaconda be much more capable of creating grub2 grub.cfg entries than it presently is; as it defers to grub2-mkconfig to do this sort of thing.

Chris Murphy