Re: F18 doesn't see full laptop screen resolution

On Sat, 2013-02-02 at 16:38 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2013-02-02 14:01 (GMT-0700) Chris Murphy composed:
>
> > On Feb 2, 2013, at 12:46 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >> No. User has selected basic graphics mode for Anaconda to use.Anaconda
> >> could follow up with the extra stanza in the bootloader config file it
> >> configures for booting the installed system.
>
> > OK so you're saying when the user chooses, from the ISOLINUX based menu:
> > Troubleshooting > Install Fedora in basic graphics mode, that somehow
> > anaconda knows this was selected. As far as I know, the only preservation
> > of this selection that anaconda has access to is 'cat /proc/cmdline' to
> > reveal 'nomodeset quiet' was chosen. But in such case you want
> > grub2-mkconfig to contain another entry (ala Recovery Mode entries).
>
> > Anaconda doesn't create the grub.cfg, fyi. It directly calls
> > grub2-mkconfig to create it. So the feature you need would be anaconda
> > getting and parsing /proc/cmdline/ and then feeding an option to
> > grub2-mkconfig, possibly via /etc/default/grub.
>
> Something must be looking at /proc/cmdline already or the installed grub.cfg
> wouldn't be including nomodeset in the default stanza.
>
> >  So the feature ultimately
> > is both an anaconda and grub2 request.
>
> Presumably mkconfig is using a default /etc/default/grub (<512 bytes). After
> finding nomodeset in /proc/cmdline, Anaconda could specify mkconfig use an
> alternate such file or perform some other magic to get the extra stanza
> included, maybe an /etc/grub.d/49_nomodeset.

This still strikes me as all kinds of unnecessary. What problem are you
guys trying to solve here? Do you know of a horde of users that wants to
install in basic graphics mode but then use regular driver after
install? Cos I haven't met them.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey