Re: Review Request: Initial Fedup CLI Test Case

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 12:00:20 +0100
Martin Krizek <mkrizek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Is this "...default partitioning (no less than 500MB for /boot),
> selecting the default package set." really necessary? I'd say that a
> more valid use case would be upgrading with any partitioning and any
> package set. I mean, who uses just a default package set? Would it
> make sense to remove that part?

Honestly, it depends on how you look at it. I agree that there needs to
be more variation in the system to be upgraded in order to test
upgrades more completely. It's a side effect of how we write test cases
and the resources we have to do the testing.

I think it really comes down to practicality. When you loosen up the
test case like that, you have a combinatorial explosion of potential
test cases that could cause problems. Since the fedup process uses yum
at it's core - most of those bugs would come down to the individual
packages which cause problems. If upgradepath was enforced, it would be
less of a potential issue but that's not an option at the moment.

If we look at real world use cases; using rpmfusion is common, using
some arbitrary package set is almost definitely the case; do we test
upgrades with all of those possibilities?

The problem with our release validation process is where to draw the
line between what we test and what we don't. Our test cases are pretty
much human bash scripts and that seems to be what people expect. If
you follow all the steps of a test case, you can mark it pass/fail and
be done with it; no improvisation or filling in unwritten stuff should
be required. I'm personally not a fan of this testing style but it is
what it is and I choose my battles - test case writing style is not one
that I'm choosing to fight right now.

With the testing resources we have right now, I think that limiting the
upgrade test case to the default package set is our best option. Does
it cover everything? No. Does it cover the most common issues? Probably.
It does make some assurances that the fedup process is at least working
for a known base case.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't test upgrades with something other
than the base package set or shouldn't file bugs if they hit issues
outside of the base package set. I encourage that kind of testing and
I'd love to see more acceptance of reasonable improvisation during
testing. I just don't think that the release validation test cases is
the best place to be doing that right now.

Tim