Re: TC7 bootloader installation

On 11/04/2012 02:50 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-11-04 at 02:36 +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>
>> Also what does this mean for UEFI installations with Fedora? When I install
>> F18 will it detect that the UEFI bits already exists on the harddisk and
>> overwrite only the binary bits and only add the new install to the grub menu?
>
> What the current code does is, if you have an existing Fedora entry in
> the UEFI boot manager, simply erase it and write a new entry. I haven't
> checked recently what it does with the EFI system partition, but it does
> not re-use the previous copy of grub(2)-efi.

But what happens to the files in \EFI\redhat specifically grub.conf? Will
this just be updated or overwritten (thus killing the entry for the
previous release)?

>> While I get that BIOS stuff needs to be supported for a while I think
>> supporting UEFI multiboot would simplify things because you can separate
>> the installations completely rather than having to deal with updating
>> existing boot structures that could potentially break stuff.
>
> They're really separate topics and don't need to be considered in
> relation to each other.

What I was aiming at was that currently in order to install a new Fedora
release next to the old one the data in \EFI\redhat needs to be modified
carefully to add the new stuff but also keep the old config intact.
With proper UEFI multiboot support each release could create a directory
\EFI\fedora${releasever} and install the bootloader there with a fresh
grub.conf only for that release. Since there is no shared data between the
two Fedora version no breakage can happen with the update of grub.efi or
grub.conf.
The user can then directly boot into both release from the UEFI boot menu
rather then first having to select "Fedora" from the UEFI menu and then
again select between the releases from the grub menu.

That's what I have to do right now and it's not desirable from a usability
point of view for the user and for the maintainers a true separation
between the individual installations should simplify things as well.

Regards,
  Dennis