Re: TC7 bootloader installation

On Sun, 2012-11-04 at 02:36 +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

> Also what does this mean for UEFI installations with Fedora? When I install
> F18 will it detect that the UEFI bits already exists on the harddisk and
> overwrite only the binary bits and only add the new install to the grub menu?

What the current code does is, if you have an existing Fedora entry in
the UEFI boot manager, simply erase it and write a new entry. I haven't
checked recently what it does with the EFI system partition, but it does
not re-use the previous copy of grub(2)-efi.

> While I get that BIOS stuff needs to be supported for a while I think
> supporting UEFI multiboot would simplify things because you can separate
> the installations completely rather than having to deal with updating
> existing boot structures that could potentially break stuff.

They're really separate topics and don't need to be considered in
relation to each other.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey