Re: Upstream first? [Was: Re: The future of how to debug pages]

On 09/26/2012 07:50 AM, Matej Cepl wrote:
On 26/09/12 01:21, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
If we send reporters upstream to read documents we can just as well send
them by the same method to upstream bugzilla's to file reports.

Yes, I think it could be preferred way for some bugs and some components (i.e., I would suggest much more aggressive use of CLOSED/UPSTREAM).

What would you prefer? Upstream balancing five bug reports in five downstream bug trackers (plus his own) and wasting ton of time just coordinating and communicating with them, or five bug reporters (and their package maintainers, if required) working with the upstream in the upstream bug tracker?

I understand that it is not possible always (given the character of the component in question, or because bug reporters are not able to work with the upstream code, and of course it could genuinely be a packaging bug or bug caused by other components in the distro), but when it is possible, I think it should be preferred.

Personally I look at this as technology problem to be solved not political one that said the problem you describe for you as an maintainer applies to reporters as well since from reporters perspective it is multiple upstreams ( as opposed to multiple downstreams/distribution ) they have to interact with.

JBG