Re: Blocker Tracking App Reskin - Feedback on New Mockups

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 04:33:57 -0400 (EDT)
Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The two mockups that I'm looking at right now (identical other than
> > the table column ordering) are:
> > http://tflink.fedorapeople.org/blockerbugs/reskin-draft3/blockers-3.html
> > http://tflink.fedorapeople.org/blockerbugs/reskin-draft3/blockers.html
>
> Tim, I love it!
>
> The first way of column ordering seems better to me.

I've been going back and forth between the two column layouts - one
follows the idea that the primary key (bug_id) is on the far right and
the second most important key (status, changed indicator, update info)
is on the far right to make scanning the table easier for either the
primary or secondary key.

The other treats the tuple (bugid, component, status) as a tuple for
the primary key. While that fits better for people familar with the
blocker process, I wasn't sure which was better overall. I suppose that
no matter how pretty/useful the UI is, the bug's status is going to
be one of the more important pieces of information there even if the
meaning of POST, MODIFIED, ON_QA etc. is rather opaque.

> What's the Login button for? Will we log in using FAS to maintain the
> state of the stars, or is that remembered by using cookies only?
> (Cookies would be quite sufficient IMO).

It depends on what I'm able to get done in the short term, to be honest.

At the least, it will be for admin tasks (changing the active release,
adding spins etc.) but eventually I'd like to add a form that allows
for blocker submission (which bug, blocker/nth, criterion/justification
etc.) to make that process a bit more transparent and to work around
the need for editbugs to do so. I have a few other ideas around voting
that would require login that may/may not eventually happen but that
wouldn't be until at least F19.

At some point, I was planning to integrate with FAS but for now, it'll
just be a locally stored auth system like it is currently (there's just
no login button - you have to know the URL but that's not a problem
since there is little need to login very often).

I'm not sure what you mean by remembering the state of the stars. They
indicate a bug whose state, whiteboard or blocks state has been
modified in the last 24 hours and I'm not sure how that would be
affected by login - can you elaborate a bit on what you were thinking?

> > there are popup tooltips on the "updates" column
>
> That's a great functionality, but very hard to discover. I wouldn't
> have known if you hadn't told me. Maybe you could add "(mouse over)"
> text with a small font into the Updates column headline? Looking like:
>
> Updates          ↑
> (mouse over)     ↓
>
> or
>
> Updates (mouse over)  ↑↓
>
> Or some other way how to let people know. Like a bubble above the
> column or something.

Yeah, the popups/tooltips aren't very obvious. I don't really want to
add another line to the table header or use up more horizontal real
estate for an embedded explanation but I'll figure out a way to make
discovery easier.

Thanks for the feedback,

Tim