Re: Fwd: Re: Helping to improve advertising of test days and other things

On 2012-08-23 0:31, Arnav Kalra wrote:
Would it be possible for me to edit someone elses results in the wiki?

I have one more point to make in this thread, not specific to Arnav's mail but I'm just replying to it for convenience...it seems that there's been a bit of confusion for some people between the 'Test Day process' and the 'release validation process'.

To be clear, the process of testing TC/RC builds and identifying blocker bugs and so forth is not part of the Test Day process. It's something else. TC/RC testing is not done through the Test Day process, the TC/RC validation pages are not Test Day pages.

So far as publicity goes, the Test Day process is the main thing. We (that's 'we Fedora QA', not 'we Red Hat', to be clear) don't really want very widespread publicity for the TC/RC composes. They're not official pre-releases and have no quality guarantee at all; broadcasting them far and wide would probably only result in an increase in negative perceptions of the quality of Fedora. The TC/RC composes exist specifically for doing release validation, and we really want people who do release validation to be committed Fedora QA members who understand the process and understand that sometimes TC builds are going to be horribly broken, and that's just part of the sausage factory and doesn't mean Fedora is awful. If we start announcing TCs/RCs all over the internet people will just think they're 'normal' Fedora pre-releases, they'll complain about how broken they are, and they probably won't provide us any actually really useful validation feedback. So we're actually fine with the current level of promotion of those images.

Test Days, though, we usually do want to get communicated to as wide an audience (as long as that audience is at least potentially interested and willing to contribute) as possible. So any help with promoting Test Days would be really great.

Hope that clarifies things a bit! Thanks.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey