Re: Nomodeset in grub

Adam Jackson wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't believe know what your goal is. All you've said so far is
that you used to do this thing, and that now it doesn't work the way it used to.
I don't think I caught _why_ you were doing that thing.

I don't know what his use case is, but I set this up recently as well. I have an HP server with ILO with lets me remotely view the console. However, they require a license if you want to view it in graphical mode. So in order to be able to access grub and the console remotely I need to make sure that nothing switches to graphical mode while booting. I solved this by using nomodeset for the kernel and modifying the grub config so that initializing graphics mode was a no-op.