Re: My Fedora 15 beta experiences so far

>I don't understand why Fedora maintainers decide to replace functional
>software by software that lacks many essential features ...

I have no direct connection to Fedora decision-makers, but I doubt this
is something they "decide" to do.  It happens because Fedora seeks to
package very recent versions of code, in order to deliver the latest
function to users who either require this (new hardware, perhaps) or
desire early exposure to the latest software in order to test
applications and prepare for more general use by others.

Rawhide may be closer to the "cutting edge" but Fedora releases can be
close enough that the blood is not yet dry.  Some distributions focus
much more on stability and code maturity than Fedora.  For some users,
one of these can be a better choice, or perhaps an older Fedora release
where many of the rough edges have been polished.

In most cases, upstream developers perform correction of problems and
polish.  Sometimes these developers have connections to Fedora, but I
think it is unfair to suggest Fedora seeks to create problems.  It
accepts problems in order to understand what troubles may lie ahead,
document them, and facilitate their solution.  Only in rare instances
(e.g. anaconda) does Fedora "decide" exactly what function will be in a
release.

There is precedent for Fedora to decide some feature is too troublesome
to include in a release, witness the controversial decision to exclude
systemd late in the F14 cycle.  If Fedora waited until all components
were mature or non-controverisal, if would no longer be Fedora.