Re: [Fedora-legal-list] license of the binary policy

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 9:40 AM Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dne 25. 05. 22 v 8:45 Panu Matilainen napsal(a):
> > On 5/23/22 19:44, Neal Gompa wrote:

> >> I generally interpret it to mean the effective license that covers the
> >> resulting artifacts shipped in the binary RPM. I think this is fine,
> >> but we definitely have a gap in RPM packaging in that we can't declare
> >> the license of the Source RPM anywhere. This is particularly kludgy
> >> when you have vendored or bundled code.
> >
> > I seem to have a dim recollection of ability to define source license
> > separately being requested at some point years ago, but it never went
> > anywhere, for whatever reason.

> > After rummaging through some dusty archives, turns that discussion
> > took place between Spot and myself in August 2007. No wonder the
> > recollection was dim. I guess there was never any ticket/bug filed on
> > it and the email simply got slowly buried in the sediment.
> >
> > Feel free to open a ticket at
> > https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/ if this is something
> > we should look into. Doesn't seem like rocket science to add an
> > optional SourceLicense that would be used for the src.rpm license if
> > present, or something like that.
> >

> Sorry for resurrecting old thread. But it was never referred here, that
> after all. this was requested and implemented in RPM:
>
> https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/issues/2079
>
> https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/pull/2117
>
> therefore there is now `SourceLicense` tag supported by RPM 4.19+
> available in F40+.
>
> And I wonder, should we update our license guidelines and start to use
> the `SourceLicense` tag?

There was an issue several months ago where this was brought up, IIRC.
My thought was that use of `SourceLicense:` could be optional in
addition to populating `License` but wouldn't be encouraged. But did
you mean, should we actually deprecate use of `License` in favor of
`SourceLicense` (with all that would imply: the `SourceLicense` tag
would then consist of an enumeration of licenses covering the entirety
of the source code)? That seems like it would be a pretty radical
change, which is not to suggest that it's a bad idea.

Richard