Re: [Fedora-legal-list] license of the binary policy

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 12:37 PM Jilayne Lovejoy <jlovejoy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Fedora legal and packaging,
>
> I'm cross-posting this, as I think it's relevant to both groups.
>
> The current policy for filling out the license field of the spec file (as described at https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/LicensingGuidelines/ ) states, "The License: field refers to the licenses of the contents of the binary rpm. When in doubt, ask."
>
> As we consider how to improve documentation related to Fedora licensing, it would be helpful to hear people's thoughts on the following:
>
> 1) how do you (package maintainers) interpret this policy in practice?
>
> 2) what further information/documentation about this policy would be helpful?
>
> 3) should this policy be different, and if so, how?
>
> 4) any other related thoughts or observations

I generally interpret it to mean the effective license that covers the
resulting artifacts shipped in the binary RPM. I think this is fine,
but we definitely have a gap in RPM packaging in that we can't declare
the license of the Source RPM anywhere. This is particularly kludgy
when you have vendored or bundled code.

To be honest, I don't particularly relish redoing the licensing of
some things with SPDX identifiers because it's going to triple the
length of the license string there. Too much specificity can hurt...

I don't have specific solutions here, but I would like to avoid having
the list licenses for literally everything in a source tree when it
doesn't matter for binary RPMs.