license of the binary policy

Hi Fedora legal and packaging,

I'm cross-posting this, as I think it's relevant to both groups.

The current policy for filling out the license field of the spec file (as described at https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/LicensingGuidelines/ ) states, "The License: field refers to the licenses of the contents of the binary rpm. When in doubt, ask."

As we consider how to improve documentation related to Fedora licensing, it would be helpful to hear people's thoughts on the following:

1) how do you (package maintainers) interpret this policy in practice?

2) what further information/documentation about this policy would be helpful?

3) should this policy be different, and if so, how?

4) any other related thoughts or observations

Thanks!
Jilayne