Re: Are there any statistics on what proportion of Fedora packages are using rpmautospec macros?

I use rpmautospec because it allows me to merge PR’s and cherry-pick changes to older stable branches without constantly having to resolve trivial conflicts in release numbers and changelog entries. This saves only a few seconds at a time, but it really adds up over a large number of packages.

Not having to repeat the same message in rpmdev-bumpspec and git commit is an additional small benefit.

In exchange, I have less fine-grained control of my changelog entries, and my changelogs probably end up a little noisier than those of packagers who more carefully curate them for end-users.

If you only package Rust, your workflow of rewriting the spec file with rust2rpm on every change is (great for Rust, as far as i can tell, but) a significant outlier from most of the Fedora packaging ecosystem.

Examining https://src.fedoraproject.org/repo/rpm-specs-latest.tar.xz shows 4045 packages that use %autorelease, %autochangelog, or (in most cases) both, out of 24397 total. That’s 16.5% overall—not a majority but certainly a significant fraction.

– Ben Beasley (FAS music)