Re: [Fedora-legal-list] Re: Re: Re: other licensing guidance

V Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 10:33:53AM -0400, Richard Fontana napsal(a):
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 4:47 AM Petr Pisar <ppisar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > V Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 01:54:10PM -0600, Jilayne Lovejoy napsal(a):

> > > you're right, that is not a legal guideline - wrong link, too many windows
> > > open!
> > >
> > > This one has a bit (that is now covered in the new docs and outdated)
> > > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Perl/#_license_tag
> > >
> > This is there because most of the Perl packages uses this license combination.
> > It helps packagers to identify the typical license correctly.
> >
> > Feel free to copy (and reword) it into licensing guidelines. Then Perl
> > packaging guidelines will replace the section with a link to that advice in
> > licensing guidelines. Is it Ok? Please only make the advice linkable.
>
> What do you think of this?
> https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-legal-docs/-/blob/main/modules/ROOT/pages/license-field.adoc#user-content-perl-packages

That's good.

I'm slightly surprised that you decided to hide the unapproved license part
"Artistic-1.0-Perl" from "GPL-1.0-or-later OR Artistic-1.0-Perl" expression.

I understand it makes the License tag more comprehensible.

On the other hand, I worry it will complicate merging user-supplied patches
back to upstreams. Because users contributing to Fedora will see only GPL,
hence they will understand their patches are GPL. But then upstream will assume
or insisit on the full "GPL-1.0-or-later OR Artistic-1.0-Perl" combination.
The will make a friction because Fedora maintainers will need to renegotiate
a license of the patch with the patch author to get the "OR Artistic-1.0-Perl"
part back. (Though I admin this case quite theoritical. I haven't seen many
patches from Fedora users. Fedora-origin patches are usually authored by
Fedora maintainers.)

Does hiding the unapproved licenses from a License tag also influnce which
license files are packaged with %license macro? Should we because of that
start removing Artistic-1.0-Perl texts from Perl packages?

> Note that we have an open issue to reassess the various pre-Artistic
> 2.0 versions of the Artistic License.

I can see <https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-license-data/-/issues/37>.
I wasn't aware about it. Allowing Artistic-1.0-Perl would palliate the above
mentioned worry.

-- Petr