Re: Wine MinGW system libraries

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 8:21 PM Zebediah Figura <zfigura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/6/21 6:31 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 7:00 PM Zebediah Figura <zfigura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks everyone for their input.
> >>
> >> There seems to be a consensus that Fedora would prefer that we use their
> >> MinGW dynamic libraries. However, this leaves a couple of questions:
> >>
> >> * As I described in [1], we *may* be able to hack things in the Wine
> >> loader such that we can use unmodified dynamic libraries. However, it's
> >> not fully clear yet that it's feasible. If it turns out to be
> >> infeasible, what preferences does Fedora have? (Renamed dynamic
> >> libraries shipped separately, shipped as part of Wine, static libraries,
> >> etc...)
> >>

> > Would it be possible to use the MinGW static libraries to generate new
> > Wine dynamic libraries?
>
> Yes, although I think this ends up being worse than renaming them. You'd
> have to write some nontrivial linker scripts.

Also, most Fedora variants (especially the ones that Wine would be
typically installed on) use Btrfs, which supports reflinks. I know
that there is a patch set for implementing usage of reflinks for
populating the Wine prefix used for running applications[1]. That
patch set would probably help considerably for space efficiency of
Wine installations on Fedora. Reflinks plus the renaming of libraries
would probably mean we'd pay almost zero additional cost on-disk for
the files for each Wine prefix. There's related work to also support
reflinks in DNF and RPM directly[2], which should also help for
deduplicating on upgrades and such (I imagine there's still some logic
that needs to be done for the individual wine prefixes...).

[1]: https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2021-August/193357.html
[2]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RPMCoW