Re: Wine MinGW system libraries

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 7:00 PM Zebediah Figura <zfigura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks everyone for their input.
>
> There seems to be a consensus that Fedora would prefer that we use their
> MinGW dynamic libraries. However, this leaves a couple of questions:
>
> * As I described in [1], we *may* be able to hack things in the Wine
> loader such that we can use unmodified dynamic libraries. However, it's
> not fully clear yet that it's feasible. If it turns out to be
> infeasible, what preferences does Fedora have? (Renamed dynamic
> libraries shipped separately, shipped as part of Wine, static libraries,
> etc...)

Would it be possible to use the MinGW static libraries to generate new
Wine dynamic libraries?

> * Since most other distributions don't ship any mingw libraries (yet),
> and since Fedora doesn't ship all of the libraries we need yet either,
> we will probably need to include code in wine to fall back to imported
> sources or submodules. Is this acceptable to be used in Fedora, at least
> on a temporary basis?

Yes, we have a policy that allows bundling for these circumstances,
they just have to be declared:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#bundling

In the Fedora case, we'd simply force Wine to build using our system libraries.