Re: Wine MinGW system libraries

On Thu, Sep 02, 2021 at 04:58:01PM -0500, Zebediah Figura (she/her) wrote:
It's worth pointing out that we will almost certainly need a
fallback solution, if we do end up using shared libraries and
*-w64-mingw32-pkg-config. This is mainly because Fedora, as far as I
can tell, is unusual in providing mingw libraries (Debian ships a
scant few; Arch ships none and in fact only recently even started
shipping the cross-compiler.) And even Fedora doesn't provide all of
the libraries we need.

I'm happy to work with Fedora and with other distributions to help
get support across the board for mingw libraries and pkg-config, but
it's going to be a hard sell to the Wine maintainers to rely on a
feature that isn't widely supported. Still, we might be able to use
it where it's present...

I'm surprised - I thought Debian had a fairly complete set but I
checked just now and they don't have many.  OpenSUSE's package set is
a bit thin which is also a surprise because we collaborated with them
on packaging in the early days.  (I might be looking in the wrong
place for OpenSUSE).

Does Wine need 32- or 64-bit packages (or both)?

We will need both 32-bit and 64-bit MinGW packages.

(On the plus side, one of the reasons we're building things in PE format is to have true WoW64 support. I've seen some distributions [and Mac OS] agitating to drop 32-bit support; I don't know if Fedora is one of them, but having everything in PE format would allow us to potentially drop 32-bit dependencies for all of our system libraries, including the ones that aren't in PE.)