Re: Fedora Update Policy

bradbell@xxxxxxxxxx kirjoitti 25.2.2021 klo 11.01:
On Wednesday, 24 February 2021 at 12:59, Brad Bell wrote:

Nothing. The package build should be completed already by the time you
issue a `fedpkg update` command. The command is only for submitting an
update to be included in the -updates repository. You can do the same
via the Bodhi web interface (https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org).

What made you think the %check section has anything to do with `fedpkg
update`?

The %check section for this package does all the necessary testing.
I thought the update step was for testing and therefore I wanted to skip the update step.
I am not sure how to do this ?
You can't. It'll appear in updates after your update
You are right in that the update step is for testing. But it is not
coupled to what you have in the spec file. All updates to release
versions go to testing first. The Bodhi wiki page [1] describes the
exception policy:

    Q: I want to push my package directly out, bypassing testing.
    A: You need to get permission from FESCo for this.

If the users for your package really need the update fast, you could
direct them to update's Bodhi page which lists the command to download
the update in testing. You could suggest that they vote for the update
in Bodhi. That way, as soon as a couple of volunteers have confirmed
that it really works and given positive karma, it goes to stable.

Yes, it is annoying to wait for packages sitting in Bodhi when you know
it works. But the method above allows anybody who needs the update to
get it, and help it go stable quickly.

[1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bodhi#Using_the_bodhi_command-line_client

(https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2021-4f738cfd08)
moves to stable status. And please don't give your updates names like
"medium". If you don't know what to put there, just leave the field
blank.

Thanks. I will do that from now on.

The update is confusing. The name-version-release string is
cppad-20210000.3-3.fc33, but the update description says:
"Patch corresponding to bug fix in upstream source 20210000.5"
If it's a new version, shouldn't the package version be 20210000.5?

I also took a look at the spec file. Can you explain why you're patching
the source with sed in %prep section instead of using patches (unified
diff files) or, even simpler, grabbing the latest upstream release
tarball? I can see 20210000.5 here:
https://github.com/coin-or/CppAD/releases

I was patching the old source to avoid having to upload the entire new source.
I will change to using the new upstream source and create a new build.
Once this works, I will look into the other changes you have suggested.

Do I need to do a `fedpkg update` for the new build ?
or is that step unnecessary for the new build to appear in the standard fedora repository.

If you were only changing the way how specfile is written and not
changing anything in the end result, there would be no reason to submit
an update. But replacing sed patching with an upstream archive sounds
like there is nonzero chance for something actually changing, intended
or not. And fixing the version number is user visible, too, so in this
case it would make sense to submit an update.