Re: Fedora Update Policy

> On Wednesday, 24 February 2021 at 12:59, Brad Bell wrote:
>
> Nothing. The package build should be completed already by the time you
> issue a `fedpkg update` command. The command is only for submitting an
> update to be included in the -updates repository. You can do the same
> via the Bodhi web interface (https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org).
>
> What made you think the %check section has anything to do with `fedpkg
> update`?

The %check section for this package does all the necessary testing.
I thought the update step was for testing and therefore I wanted to skip the update step.
I am not sure how to do this ?

> You can't. It'll appear in updates after your update
> (https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2021-4f738cfd08)
> moves to stable status. And please don't give your updates names like
> "medium". If you don't know what to put there, just leave the field
> blank.

Thanks. I will do that from now on.

> The update is confusing. The name-version-release string is
> cppad-20210000.3-3.fc33, but the update description says:
> "Patch corresponding to bug fix in upstream source 20210000.5"
> If it's a new version, shouldn't the package version be 20210000.5?
>
> I also took a look at the spec file. Can you explain why you're patching
> the source with sed in %prep section instead of using patches (unified
> diff files) or, even simpler, grabbing the latest upstream release
> tarball? I can see 20210000.5 here:
> https://github.com/coin-or/CppAD/releases

I was patching the old source to avoid having to upload the entire new source.
I will change to using the new upstream source and create a new build.
Once this works, I will look into the other changes you have suggested.

Do I need to do a `fedpkg update` for the new build ?
or is that step unnecessary for the new build to appear in the standard fedora repository.