Re: Fedora Update Policy

On Wednesday, 24 February 2021 at 12:59, Brad Bell wrote:
> I have a package that runs all it's automated tests during the `%check
> phase` of the build process.  I am not sure what I should specify, for
> this case, during the `fedpkg updae` command ?

Nothing. The package build should be completed already by the time you
issue a `fedpkg update` command. The command is only for submitting an
update to be included in the -updates repository. You can do the same
via the Bodhi web interface (https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org).

What made you think the %check section has anything to do with `fedpkg
update`?

> It seems that my updates have gotten stuck, with the options I have tried.
> For example, see `20210000.3-3.fc33` on
>     http://rpms.remirepo.net/rpmphp/zoom.php?rpm=cppad
> How can I move this version to `base` for fedora-33 ?

You can't. It'll appear in updates after your update
(https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2021-4f738cfd08)
moves to stable status. And please don't give your updates names like
"medium". If you don't know what to put there, just leave the field
blank.

The update is confusing. The name-version-release string is
cppad-20210000.3-3.fc33, but the update description says:
"Patch corresponding to bug fix in upstream source 20210000.5"
If it's a new version, shouldn't the package version be 20210000.5?

I also took a look at the spec file. Can you explain why you're patching
the source with sed in %prep section instead of using patches (unified
diff files) or, even simpler, grabbing the latest upstream release
tarball? I can see 20210000.5 here:
https://github.com/coin-or/CppAD/releases

You should also make the Provides: here
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/cppad/blob/rawhide/f/cppad.spec#_40
archful (i.e. add %{?_isa}) as the subpackage.
You could simplify things by dropping the -devel subpackage and adding
Provides: %{name}-devel%{?_isa} = %{version}-%{release}
to the main package instead. Remember to add appropriate Obsoletes:
then, too.

In %install, rm -rf %{buildroot} is completely unnecessary since
RHEL/EPEL5 and make install DESTDIR=%{buildroot} can be replaced with
%make_install . Similarly, make %{?_smp_flags} can be replaced with
%make_build .

Finally, why aren't you using the %setup macro in %prep? Your SourceN
lines should start with 0 instead of 1.

Regards,
Dominik
--