Re: Let's standardize the way to disable tests during RPM build?

Le mardi 09 juin 2020 à 12:21 +0200, Vít Ondruch a écrit :
> Dne 09. 06. 20 v 12:12 Nicolas Mailhot napsal(a):
> > Le mardi 09 juin 2020 à 12:08 +0200, Vít Ondruch a écrit :
> > > Just FTR, we have bootstrapping guidelines
> > >
> > > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#bootstrapping
> > >
> > Those suffer from
> > 1. the horrible bcond logic inversion that trips pretty much
> > everyone
> > all the time.
>

> That won't be different for what was the original question here, i.e.
> conditionally disable tests. bconds are what we have for better or
> worse.

bconds had adoption problems from day one and will continue to have
them as long as they are not fixed to use a human-friendly syntax

> And really, this seems about bootstrapping not disabling tests, which
> are not completely different, but nobody can objects bootstrapping,
> while disabling tests might be good just to improve build speed and
> nothing else. That should never happen in production environment IMO.

That depends entirely on upstream’s test quality. FYI some upstream
tests will attempt reconfiguring the system as root, or download random
unchecked stuff drom the internet, or communicate with an internal
server of the company that wrote the tets for example. There are many
many shades or gray out there

> You can set them in modules and I think Koji can set them:
> https://pagure.io/koji/issue/416

It would be nice if it has been fixed now

> Not mentioning that there is almost always way to provide some macro
> file

That’s the kind of manual workaround that looks nice on paper for
people who do not have to do it, and does not scale at all for people
who actually have to do it for thousands of packages while rushing to
meet release dealines

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot