Re: Let's standardize the way to disable tests during RPM build?

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 04:38:03PM +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> On 05. 06. 20 16:26, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 04:10:20PM +0200, Tomas Orsava wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>I think it would be useful to have a standard way of disabling the
> >>running of tests during RPM build (in the %check section of a spec
> >>file).
> >>
> >>I see a lot of packages already having %bcond's or other macro
> >>definitions to archieve this, but each package has their own way,
> >>there's no real standard. Thus you have to first look into the spec,
> >>locate the appropriate %bcond or macro name and only then you can
> >>disable the tests.
> >>
> >>I would like to propose two approaches:
> >>
> >>(a) Add a *SHOULD* rule to the guidelines that specifies what is the
> >>preferred way to conditionalize the tests.
> >>
> >>(b) Or, if that's too strong, mention in the guidelines the common
> >>methods that are being used (e.g. %bcond tests and %bcond check) so
> >>that new packagers have something to use.
> >
> >What's the motivation for disabling tests globally?
>
> Bootstrapping mostly.

For the RISC-V bootstrap we used rpmbuild directly (before Koji and
its dependencies had been ported), and added --nocheck.  However once
Koji was working we built packages properly with checks enabled.

How often do we bootstrap Fedora from scratch?  Wholly new
architectures are rare.  Are there other events that require
bootstrapping from scratch?

Rich.