Re: HEADS UP: Source File Verification

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 11:15:26PM +0200, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we've got new section in Packaging Guidelines about verifying upstream
> sources[0] with GPG. Please use it whenever possible :)
>
> Thanks!
>

> [0] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_source_file_verification

It seems completely daft doing this at build time.

In the historic CVS-based build system which predated what we now use,
we could do GPG key verification at the time of downloading and
importing a new tarball.  This makes FAR more sense to me than checking
the signature on the same tarball every build.

We'd put the set of trusted GPG keys in the repository alongside the
spec file, using some standard filename, and the build system would try
check the .asc against the keys when downloading (or uploading? I can't
remember) a new tarball.  This would ensure the tarball uploaded to the
lookaside cache was trusted.

Regards, Joe